Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tripod

Last night, Lt. Dan played with his toys in front of me for the very first time. It was really great to watch him so happy and comfortable. However, I couldn't help but notice that he struggled to balance himself with his one front leg, so I started to wonder more about caring for a three legged kitten. I spent some time researching this topic and came away with these three things:

1. The loss of a limb sounds catastrophic but 3 legged cats adapt well and are usually as agile and active as 4 legged cats.

2. Don't expect a recent amputee to be 'back to normal' immediately, but don't be over-protective. He must work out his new limitations and how to compensate for a missing leg. He must build up additional strength in his other limbs. He can't do this if you carry him everywhere.

3. The loss of a fore-leg is actually more serious for a cat than the loss of a hind-leg. This is because the forelegs are used when the cat lands after jumping while the hindlegs are used mostly for propulsion.

Caring for a special needs kitteh has been a terrific experience and I highly recommend adopting an animal that needs some extra TLC, like Lt. Dan.

Please let me know if you'd like to come meet my little man and/or possibly adopt him! He is a great companion and is looking for a quiet home with lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment